Skip to content Skip to navigation

Goulburn Valley Water

FAULTS & EMERGENCIES: 1800 454 500

Plumbers & Builders

We rely on plumbers and builders to provide quality services to our residential and business customers. It is a requirement that plumbers and builders hold all necessary permits, authorities and licences required to carry out works and be able to produce these when requested. Plumbing Industry Commission Consent to Connect (PIC) numbers will only be issued to a plumber.

Water Meters
A water meter shall be supplied and fitted by our staff however a plumber must prepare a site up to and including the meter assembly in accordance with AS/NZ3500 ready for meter installation. A water meter cannot be removed from the existing connection for a water service disconnection and pre-tapped properties must be booked in for a meter fit within 14 days of payment.

It is an illegal and chargeable offence to install a bridging piece within our district. All tapped offtake repair clamps are to be stainless steel 316, minimum 2-bolted type; the only exception being Milnes GM60/C gun-metal tapping bands wrapped in Denso tape for use on PE (polyethylene) water mains.

All tappings larger than 40mm and all fire service tappings are to be conducted under pressure by a hydraulic tapping services company. A plumber is required to contact us to inspect work prior to backfilling, providing at least 48 hours’ notice.

A plumber is responsible for repairing leaks within 3 days on tappings for 12 months after the tapping is installed or banded off at the main.

Drainage Plans
Plumbers are responsible for drawing and submitting a Drainage Plan to us within 5 days of completing works using our Drainage Plan Template. A plumber must also supply us with a Drainage Plan on completion of works for all cut and seals.

Plans do not need to be to scale but must be drawn in black pen and include tie point offsets and depth, drain lengths, running tie measurements, property boundaries, Plumbing Industry Commission (PIC) numbers, connection date, trade waste pre-treatment facilities, plumber name and licence number. When alteration to an existing sewer connection is required a plumber shall obtain the existing Drainage Plan from us and include the amendment. We regulate Drainage Plans and non-compliant plans will be returned if they are incomplete and re-submission will be required.

A plumber must ensure the Drainage Plan is submitted to us prior to the Compliance Certificate being signed.

More information for Plumbers and Builders can be found below or by contacting our Property Services Team at or calling 03 5832 4640 Monday to Friday 8:00 am - 4:15 pm.

Conditions of Connection

Backflow Prevention Guidelines

Consent to Install a Backflow Prevention Device Application

Water Main Pressure and Flow Application