Key project summary
- We’re replacing an 800m section of ageing water main along Hawdon St in Shepparton, between Knight St and Balaclava Rd
- The main was constructed in 1961 and has a recent history of failures
- We’re carrying out main works during school holidays to minimise impacts
- Work will be split into three phases, during September 2022, January and April 2023 school holidays
- We’ll let customers know if their water supply will be affected
Most recent project update
15 September – first phase of works underway
Our contractors Veolia are currently on site, preparing for works to start on Monday as the first major phase of the Hawdon St water main replacement project begins.
Works will be carried out between 7am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Some sections of the road will be closed, but two-way traffic will remain in place at all times. Motorists using Hawdon St should expect some delays, but we’ll work to minimise the impact on traffic as much as possible, and traffic management will be in place.
The majority of works are expected to be completed within the two-week school holiday period, but we may need to continue works into the first two weeks of October. If that’s the case, we’ll limit works between 9.30am and 2.30pm to avoid impact on school bus services.
In this stage of works, we’ll be installing a new 180mm diameter ‘rider’ water main alongside the existing main.
Two crews will be working simultaneously – one installing a 173m section near the Knight St intersection and one a 224m section near Rea St.
There will be no impact to customers’ water supply during this stage of the upgrade.
Businesses remain open during the upgrades.